Now who ever said that volunteering couldn't be fun? There are times in your life when you will need to fill your time or a little something extra to do, heck, some people are court ordered to do it! haha. But, volunteering is something that is a little newer to me. Of course, by volunteering you get a great sense of helping those in need and all the mushy stuff. But really, the people we meet! I spent the morning laughing and it went clean though lunch.
I decided to help out with toys for tots this year, something I have never done. I find every step of this process not only rewarding, but very entertaining as well. One of the duties I took over was the event coordinator for our toys for tots office. When you have people like "Big Mike" calling you to set up an event, you cant help but laugh at his enthusiasm at being "Big Mike" and his very southern drawl makes me picture a guy in overalls, and a checkered shirt. This guy was cracking me up trying to find out how the heck I got a 619 area code on my cell, and then going on to tell me how they go the name for their furniture store. I love people sometimes, they are so entertaining.
Another neat thing I chose to do to help Toys for Tots was to go over to Catholic Charities and help them take in applications from families in need of help this Christmas at toys for tots. This, you would think, would almost feel sad and eye opening for those that have never been in these peoples shoes. Well, there was a time I was in their shoes and although I am feeling empathetic for their situation, the people I am volunteering with (other spouses and even a Marine) are a complete hoot. We spend the whole time together laughing and cracking jokes. I cant remember when I had this much fun while doing something you could consider work. Perhaps it's God's way of encouraging those of us that are doing these good deeds to keep it up. We have a hand full of girls, myself included, and a Lieutenant that are working with these applications and we all have so much fun together. I cant remember when I laughed so hard.
I would have to say to you, that if you are in need of friends, and you have time on your hands, volunteer somewhere. Maybe you can even volunteer with your local toys for tots group or perhaps United Way. Either way, it is a great way to make friends and if your lucky, like apparently I am, you will have a lot of fun while doing it!.

No comments:
Post a Comment